“When we have all indulged a little too much during the holidays, it is good to find ways to cut back on calories. Sounds good, but who wants to give up Friday night pizza? Here is a great little recipe that gives all the satisfaction of eating pizza without the guilt and I promise, it is really delicious!”– Carolyn
Prep time 30 minutes
Bake time 12-17 minutes
Servings 2 (2 mushrooms each)
Ingredients – Mushrooms
- 4 large Portobello Mushroom caps, cleaned and gills removed
- 1/2 cup Pizza sauce (or make your own, see below)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 3/4 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 large Basil leaves, torn
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
Ingredients – Pizza Sauce (home-made)
- 1-28 oz can Cento whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek Oregano
Method – Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently wash mushrooms with a wet paper towel or a mushroom brush. Cut off stems and discard. Remove the gills. A stem corer tool works well for this task. Dry mushrooms with paper towels.
- Brush insides and outsides of mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms on prepared baking sheet with tops down.
- Put pizza sauce in mushroom caps followed by Italian seasoning, cheese and any toppings of your choice.
- Bake for 12-17 minutes until the cheese is becoming a light golden brown.
- Top with torn basil leaves and eat immediately.
Method – Sauce
- Put all ingredients in food processor and process for 30 seconds.
- This recipe makes two cups and freezes nicely.
- You can buy prepared pizza sauce but it is so much better and fresher to make your own.
- These little pizzas can be doctored up to have tiny pepperoni on them or anything you would like. I put ribbons of spinach on mine.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. I would love to hear from you!