“These are delicious stuffed peppers and I especially like that you can prepare them a day ahead, refrigerate or freeze and then finish roasting them the next day or if frozen, up to three months later.”– Carolyn
Prep time 30 minutes
Bake time 40 minutes
380 calories per pepper
- 1 pound 94% lean ground Turkey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Salt, divided
- 3 large red, yellow or orange Peppers, cut in half from the stem to the bottom and cored
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 medium yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 (8-oz) can Tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with rack in middle position.
- For easier clean-up, line a 9×13 baking dish with aluminum foil. Place peppers cut side up in baking dish and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil on them and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt over them.
- Roast in oven 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in fry pan over medium heat and add chopped onions. Cook until translucent and soft, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add ground turkey, salt, chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano and cook breaking up meat with spatula until partially cooked.
- Add tomato sauce and continue cooking until meat is cooked through.
- Add cooked quinoa and 3/4 cup of shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove fry pan from heat.
- Remove peppers from oven and spoon filling evenly into the peppers.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup of shredded cheese and place baking dish back in oven.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes, until filling is hot and cheese is melted.
- To make this recipe a day ahead, or even to freeze, stop after filling the peppers with the meat mixture. Do not add the sprinkling of the final 3/4 cup of shredded cheese. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate or freeze.
- If frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cover with foil and bake in 425-degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove dish from oven and take foil off, sprinkle the 3/4 cup of shredded cheese on the peppers and roast another 5-7 minutes until filling is heated through and cheese is melted.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. I would love to hear from you!