“One of my very favorite foods is almonds. They come in many different varieties and are just delicious! For several years now, I have been buying them in large bags and roasting them in my oven. They become a golden, fragrant, delectable treat. Fresher than any you can buy. The best part is almonds are a very healthy snack. They are rich in healthy fats, protein, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They help lower blood pressure, control blood sugar, and lower cholesterol levels. All that, and delicious!”– Carolyn
Total time 15 minutes
175 calories per 1/4 cup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, measure out 3 cups of sliced almonds, 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Using a wooden spoon, give these ingredients a good long stir making sure you see a little shine of the olive oil on all the sliced almonds and the sea salt is well distributed.
- Pour out onto the parchment lined baking sheet. It will be helpful if the baking sheet has some edges to keep the almonds from slipping off. Spread the almonds out evenly over the pan. They should not overlap.
- Roast for 5 minutes and then remove from oven. With a spatula, gently lift and turn the almonds on their other side as best you can.
- Put pan back in the oven and roast for another 2-4 minutes, depending on level of golden you desire. You can take them back out of oven and give them another toss if they are not roasting evenly. You will not want to over roast them as they can burn fast on the second time in the oven. They will become deliciously fragrant when just right.
- Take them out of the oven and gently pull the parchment paper off the hot pan so the almonds do not continue to roast.
- This recipe can certainly work for whole almonds just as well. In fact, that is the way I always made them until my dentist told me I should switch to sliced almonds as he said he sees so many people with cracked teeth from eating whole almonds. I think the sliced ones are even more delicious.
- They are wonderful on ice cream, cereal, yogurt, dressing up desserts or just by the handful.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. I would love to hear from you!